X-raid Yamaha supported Team: Casale sensational fourth place
- Ignacio Casale in eleventh place overall
- Semi-marathon stage tomorrow
The six X-raid YXZ 1000R Turbo Prototype side-by-sides managed the sixth stage of the Dakar 2023 from Ha’il to Riyadh without any major problems. The X-raid Yamaha supported team worked all night to get the vehicles back in shape for today’s stage. Ignacio Casale and Alvaro Leon thanked them with a very good fourth place. Joao Ferreira / Filipe Palmeiro and Ricardo Porém / Augusto Sanz finished 15th and 16th, while the women’s team Annett Fischer / Annie Seel ended the day in 20th place.
Yesterday’s problems and the late arrival at the bivouac did not stop Casale from really stepping on the gas today. The Chilean was able to keep up with the times of the top riders right from the start. For a while he was even in first place. But the track had already been damaged by the competitors in front of him. Nevertheless, Casale reached fourth place and is eleventh in the overall standings.
The two Portuguese Porém and Ferreira also had a very long day and a short night yesterday. But they were also well on their way from the beginning and finally secured places in the top 20. Thus, they have good starting positions for further top placings in tomorrow’s stage.
Ignacio Casale: “That was a good day for us. We started from very far back and the track was in a bad condition. Nevertheless, we managed to finish fourth and the gap to the winner was very small. Today, fortunately, we didn’t have any problems for once and I’m really happy about the result.”
Joao Ferreira: “We liked the stage today. We didn’t make any mistakes and we got through without any problems. We tried to take care of the side-by-side so that we could get through the marathon day well.”
Annett Fischer: “Today we had to do 357 kilometres of nothing but dunes. Some of them were very difficult to ride. We took it easy today so that nothing would break on the vehicle. We arrived well, but had a puncture. We are happy to be at the finish.”
Because of the problems around the bivouac in Al Duwadimi, the organisers have added a semi-marathon stage for tomorrow. The pilots will drive to Al Duwadimi alone and will have to manage without their mechanics there in the evening. The day after tomorrow they will return to Riyadh. A total of 861 kilometres have to be covered tomorrow, 333 of them against the clock. The terrain will be varied: from gravel roads to sandy plateaus to huge dune ranges.
Dakar Rally – result SS6
1. G. de Mevius / F. Cazalet – OT3 – 3h 39m 43s
2. A. Jones / G. Gugelmin – Can-Am – 3h 41m 22s
3. S. Quintero / D. Zenz – Can-Am – 3h 42m 09s
4. I. Casale / A. Leon – X-raid YXZ1000R Turbo Prototype – 3h 42m 21s
5. M Guthrie / K. Walch – Can-Am – 3h 43m 10s
15. J. Ferreira / F. Palmeiro – X-raid YXZ1000R Turbo Prototype – 4h 07m 08s
16. R. Porém / A. Sanz – X-raid YXZ1000R Turbo Prototype – 4h 11m 41s
20. A. Fischer / A. Seel – X-raid YXZ1000R Turbo Prototype – 4h 32m 52s
24. C. Liparoti / X. Blanco – X-raid YXZ1000R Turbo Prototype – 4h 45m 12s
25. A. Alkuwari / M. Lucchese – X-raid YXZ1000R Turbo Prototype – 4h 45m 41s
Overall standings after SS6
1. G. de Mevius / F. Cazalet – OT3 – 27h 55m 22s
2. A. Jones / G. Gugelmin – Can-Am – 28h 04m 21s
3. S. Quintero / D. Zenz – Can-Am – 29h 03m 37s
4. F. Lopez / J. Latrach – Can-Am – 30h 40m 45s
5. C. Gutierrez / P. Moreno – Can-Am – 30h 49m 21s
11. I. Casale / A. Leon – X-raid YXZ1000R Turbo Prototype – 34h 52m 54s
13. A. Fischer / A. Seel – X-raid YXZ1000R Turbo Prototype – 36h 23m 21s
16. R. Porém / A. Sanz – X-raid YXZ1000R Turbo Prototype – 37h 11m 33s
20. A. Alkuwari / M. Lucchese – X-raid YXZ1000R Turbo Prototype – 39h 11m 45s
21. C. Liparoti / X. Blanco – X-raid YXZ1000R Turbo Prototype – 39h 41m 26s